Dermalogica has just launched one of its most highly active new products to their AGE Smart line – Overnight Retinol Repair.
What's it all about...
As the name suggests, the Overnight Retinol Repair is based primarily on Retinol. Retinol is one of the most powerful, and popular ingredients sought by consumers and those in the medical profession. It has been shown to have the ability to diminish fine lines and wrinkles, and control hyperpigmentation.
Retinol itself is quite a fragile ingredient and can cause redness and irritation on the skin. UV light, air and water can affect the stability of Retinol and compromise its efficiency and ability to work on the skin.Dermalogica’s Overnight Retinol Repair has been developed to ensure the Retinol molecules are stabilized and are able to work effectively whilst also reducing the irritation effects on the skin.
The skin experts at Dermalogica and The International Dermal Institute have developed a concentrated, stabilised nighttime formula of retinol.
How it works...
- The retinol molecule has been microencapsulated to protect its structure and intergrity.
- The microencapsulated retinol forms an ultra thin, uniform film over the top of the skin protecting from TEWL (Trans Epidermal Water Loss, or dehydration of the skin). It traps water in the skin.
- The micro encapsulated retinol is released from the film and moves deep into the layers of the skin.
- The controlled release delivery of the retinol begins as soon as the product is applied on to the skin.
- After approximately two hours, the microencapsulated retinol has penetrated the inner epidermis.
The Overnight Retinol Repair can be customised to individual skins to reduce the degree of irritation and increase the results. It works to firm, smooth and restore integrity to the skin's structure.
Other key ingredients in Overnight Retinol Repair:
As well has the outstanding benefits of retinol, Dermalogica have included other ingredients that work with retinol to provide an advanced formulation. As part of the AGE Smart range of products, the formulations are designed to target the signs of ageing and photodamage and collagen production in the skin:
- Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C) – stimulates collagen production in conjunction with retinol.
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 and TAUT peptide – these two peptides optimize collagen production alongside retinol and Vitamin C. Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 helps to treat wrinkles and firm the skin. TAUT helps to firm skin and increases hydration and tone.
- Copper Amino Acid Complex – helps with collagen and elastin synthesis. Improves skin firmness and helps to reduce visible fine lines and wrinkles.
- Ceramides and Polysaccahrides – control water balance in the skins tissues reducing dehydration
- Lavender and Licorice root – Lavender helps to sooth skin and calm irritation. Licorice is an anti oxidant that also has anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties.
How to use it...
- Use at night only.
- For the first two weeks, mix one part Overnight Retinol Repair with up to three parts Buffer Cream (included in the box) and apply to cleansed skin at night, when cell renewal is at its prime. As your skin adjusts to the Overnight Retinol Repair you can transition to nightly use and gradually increase the ratio of Overnight Retinol Repair to Buffer Cream. If Buffer Cream is depleted then substitute your prescribed Dermalogica Moisturiser.
- We recommend not layering it directly with other targeted treatment products. Use on alternate nights with other targeted treatments such as PowerBright TRx C-12 Pure Bright Serum or AGE Smart Overnight Repair Serum.
- Can be used on the neck, décolleté and hands. Not to be used around the eye area. We recommend AGE Smart Age Reversal Eye Complex or AGE Smart Multiviatmin Power Firm for the delicate eye area.
- Retinol can make your skin more sensitive to the sun as it stimulates cell turnover and thins the epidermis. It is recommended to use an spf 30+ sunscreen whilst using this product. A physical sunscreen is recommended during the first two weeks.
- This product should not be used whilst pregnant, breastfeeding or whilst using the acne product Roaccutaine. Please always check with your medical professional if unsure before using.
- Temporary symptoms of redness, flaking, irritation and sensitivity may occur. These reactions are common with retinol use and will decrease as the skin adjusts and builds retinol receptors.
Yours in skin,
The prodermal team X